Friday, August 9, 2013

Can you hold off on the blessings, Lord?

Have you ever been blessed so much that you think something's gone wrong?
Well, that's how my life feels all the time.
It is the strangest sensation to be overwhelmingly blessed.
Blessed to the point that you don't want to tell anyone and you don't want anything else amazing to happen to you.
I look around at so many people in the world that don't have half of the blessing that I do, and it just makes me sick of it.

I'm blessed with talents. I'm good at alot of things.
I've learned to sing, play multiple instruments, cook, draw, write, knit, crochet, tat lace, quilt, paint, spin wool, darn socks and so much more.
I absolutely love to learn, which overflows into 1) obsessive reading and researching and 2) my constant chattering on random facts and skills I've acquired.

I've been blessed with the ability to travel.
My family took a month-long trip out west in 2005
We took a two week long trip the New England in 2006.
(In total, I think we've been to 36 states)
We go skiing every year.
Last year we took a cruise to Alaska.
This year we went to Ireland.

You know what all that leads to?
I get proud and selfish and puffed-up.
I get frustrated when I'm not good at something.
I get upset when I don't know something.
I get discontent when I can't go somewhere.
People don't like me because they think I'm trying to make them feel dumb by being a know-it-all, when really, I am only excited about the things I've done and learned!
I feel like telling someone about my life is as good as a kick in the pants.
For them and me.

I'm not telling you all these things to boast.
Honestly, I'd much rather not tell people because it's so terribly embarrassing.
There's a line that comes to my mind so often.
It's from the movie "The Inheritance" when the father says
"I seem to be suffering from an embarrassment of riches..."
I never knew why that line stuck in my head until recently.
I was struck with the fact that my life is an embarrassment of riches.
How does one balance gratitude with a desire to shout "ENOUGH! I'm blessed beyond measure! I don't want anymore!"?
Can you even tell God you've had enough blessings? Is that a sin?

There is something I know I can't do, and it doesn't frustrate me.
You know why?
Because no human could possibly do it.
No one on the face of this earth can save me from Hell and my sins.
No matter how blessed or degraded we are, Christ is the only Savior.
I don't have to worry that I'm better than someone else because I'm not.
We're not saved by what we can do, or how much we know or where we've been. 
It's only by grace.

"For it is by grace you have been saved,through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— not by works, so that no one can boast."
Ephesians 2:8-9

Kia Kaha
Joshua 1:9


1 comment:

  1. I'm loving your blog posts, dearie! Keep living for God and keep writing about it. I'm excited to read how God continues to shape you into the amazing woman He's created you to be...and I'm even more excited that I get to share the journey with you! :)

    ReplyDelete