Monday, August 5, 2013

Kia Kaha

Today was a lousy day. 
And I mean lousy. 
Plans that I had been looking forward to were cancelled.
The friend that I really, really wanted to see, ended up not being able to come over.
I really, really wanted to go horseback riding today and didn't get to.
And alot of other things just went wrong.
I feel like I'm the closest I'll ever be to an inhabitant of Jericho.
(I'm also feeling tired, dramatic and completely overwhelmed)
But this is something I've been thinking about.
Crushed, broken things.
Dreams, mostly.
When I first started thinking about driving and getting my own car, all I wanted was a VW Bug.
As I got older, that dream got crushed by reality.
I wanted to train service dogs and you can't carry a dog crate in a Bug.
It's a little dream, but every time I see a Bug, I tend to get jealous.
But my plain white mini van serves the purpose and I really do like it.
I'm trying to see it as one dream replaced with another.
Training service dogs is a much more selfless dream than owning a VW Bug.
And I love it.
This day will be over soon and God has blessed me with a relatively optimistic outlook and short-term memory loss which helps each new day to (typically) start out fresh and happy.
His mercies are new every morning.
One last remark.
Some time ago, I got the nickname "Kia". It's a long story of how I got it and I won't go into all of it.
Recently though Fiah (the bestower of aforementioned nickname) and I saw a picture of a copy of The Hobbit book, signed my all the actors from the movie.
One of the actors put the phrase "Kia Kaha" above his name, which, of course, we looked into because it was my nickname.
As it turns out, it means "Be Strong" in Maori (a language spoken in New Zealand) and is a popular saying over there.
Needless to say, I looked into it even more and found that there is a Maori worship song called "Kia Kaha"
I have sort of adopted it as my motto and have had the words to the song running through my head all day.
(And I'm going to be signing off with it from now on)
If anyone would like to hear it, here is a link.

Kia Kaha!
Lydia

No comments:

Post a Comment